Happy 59th Birthday, Michael Jackson! It’s still so surreal that you aren’t here with us, making more music.
To celebrate such an epic life – we’re taking a peek into the top five most epic M.J. moments:
- The first time we ever saw Michael Jackson moonwalk. It was at the Mowtown 25th Anniversary showcase in 1983.
1983, y’all! Michael was known, even at this time, for his incredible live performances and dancing – but this performance took the cake. It was one that many still talk about as being the best ever by any artist.
- The 1993 SuperBowl Halftime Show. I remember sitting on the floor in our living room, watching with my mom and dad. We were blown away. There are these feelings that stay with you – goosebumpy, jaw-to-the-floor moments in life. For me, this was one of those moments.
This moment was also the turning point for the NFL to begin investing in bigger named artists to perform at half-time.
- His duet with Diana Ross. I had actually never seen this prior to my research. Talk about chemistry. These two icons were disco down to the socks.
- Thriller. How many of you remember the MTV movie moment that was this release? It was an entire week long event. There aren’t too many artists who can capture the world’s attention with a masterpiece the way Michael could.
Fun fact: A world record was set in Mexico City on 8/29/2009 – MJ’s birthday – when 13,597 participants performed the dance according to the Guinness Book of World Records.
- Michael as the Scarecrow in The Wiz. This was his first feature role, and (in my opinion) one of his very best. He had other appearances in movies and on TV – but Michael really shone in this role.
This feature brought Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones together musically. I am not sure anyone was ready for the kind of epicness that would come from that friendship.
What is your favorite Michael Jackson song? I think if I could only choose one, it would have to be Smooth Criminal.