Books written for a younger audience often contain great beauty and startling insights, and they do what good literature is supposed to do – they break you open in the best of ways. They change you and make you look at the world differently. Young adult literature is geared toward teen readers, but accessible to all of us. You’re never too old to read it, and you’re never too old to learn something from a story about a young wizard or a high school misfit. This is why it remains my favorite genre. Here are some especially beautiful quotes I love:
1. The love and friendship between Will and Lyra in Phillip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy is piercingly sweet and passionate. I cried, reading this scene as an adult:
2. Anyone who has fallen in love with a book can identify with this:
3. John Knowles’ A Separate Peace was one of the first serious YA literature pieces I read as a kid, and it still touches me.
4. Adolescence is a time of almost unbearable loneliness for a many of us, and I’m not sure we ever completely outgrow that yearning to connect.
5. Hope is powerful.
6. J.K. Rowling will always be one of my literary heroes. Harry Potter changed my life, and that is proof that words are indeed magic.