The other night I was sitting on the couch and about an hour after eating dinner I got struck by a craving for something sweet that was so powerful and all consuming I had to summon my husband – oft referred to as “The Pool Boy” – from his man cave in order to bribe him to go to the store for me.
Don’t ask what I bribed him with (some things are better left unsaid in polite company); suffice it say, however, that The Man I Married surpassed all expectations. Bless his Poolboy heart, he took a twenty minute drive to the Dairy the Queen and presented me with an entire box of Buster Bars upon his valiant return.
But as I ooohed and aaaaaahed and, lets face it, went a little Linda Lovelace on my bars, I couldn’t help but feel guilty. Do you know how much a box of Buster Bars cost? This wouldn’t be a big deal if I didn’t already have other bad habits like wine, and um, wine on the go, but seeing that I resolved this Janaury to save money for travelling, spending 20 bucks on something that comes in a box but doesn’t have any alcohol content seemed a little crazy.
This got me thinking. Why couldn’t I come up with an easy frozen dessert that would take almost the same amount of time to whip together as it took the Poolboy to drive to the Dairy Queen? Further, could this not be done at a cost far less than $20.00 – not to mention to gas it took to get back and forth?
People, I think so!
Can I interest you in a slice of Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake Frozen Pie?
The crust is chocolate and is as simple to make as pouring melted butter into a pile of Oreo Cookie Crumbs. Add some frozen yogurt, cream cheese, cherries, and chocolate, and you’ve got a damn party more than worthy of a national event!
Please enjoy and do note, this one goes great with wine – but really, what doesn’t?
Visit the printable recipe here: http://mavensprintablerecipes.blogspot.ca/2013/05/chocolate-cherry-cheesecake-frozen-pie.html
Enjoy the step by step video here:
Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake Frozen Pie
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Freeze Time: 60 minutes
Serves: 1 peri-menopusal woman, or 6-8
- 3 cups vanilla frozen yogurt
- 3/4 cup cream cheese
- 2 1/4 cup Oreo cookie crumbs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups pitted black cherries (frozen, or canned)
- chocolate ice cream sauce
- Mix 1 1/4 cups of Oreo cookie crumbs with a quarter cup of melted butter and press into a pie plate.
- Place two cups of vanilla frozen yogurt into a large bowl and let it melt slightly. Add a half cup of the cream cheese and beat with an electric blender until smooth.
- Add two cups of whole black cherries, the additional cup of Oreo cookie crumbs, and stir well to incorporate. Finish by beating with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour into the prepared chocolate crust and smooth evenly.
- Place in the freezer for 60 minutes or until firm.
- Once the pie is firm add the final cup of frozen yogurt and the final 1/4 quarter cup of cream cheese. Whip that topping together until soft and smooth. Spread over the top of the frozen pie and finish with black cherries and drizzles of chocolate ice cream sauce.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place back in the freezer.
- Thaw on the counter for about 10 minutes before serving.