This New Year’s Eve I will be squeezing into a long sequined gown and watching my best friend get married. As excited as I am for that night and all that comes with it, there is a small part of me that will miss my New Year’s Eve tradition of staying home and throwing a party for six. We play games, have fun foods and drinks, countdown to midnight and genuinely rock out. It’s a little piece of heaven and the perfect way to end one year and start the next.
Since I will be switching up my plans this year, I thought I would share five simple elements to having a low-key New Year’s Eve at home.
- Decorate your space. You do not need to throw a bunch of money at decorating. You can print free decorations right from your printer! If you want to add a few touches here and there, head to the dollar store for last-minute touches.
- Plan a few fun activities. My kids love to pop a balloon on the hour every hour. We plan a different activity for each hour. Dance off? Twister? You decide.
3. Make your snacks fun and memorable, but above all else, simple. I love a good dip, easy sandwiches and sides.
- Have a drink or two; hell, make a batch!
- Dress in your best PJs. Get comfy from the start. If you are having guests over, tell them it’s casual attire—roll straight out of your bed if you want. It’s your party—you can wear PJ pants if you want to.
You are ready for your low-key holiday at home! Be comfy, my friends, and Happy New Year to you!