I have a confession to make: I don’t like going to movie theaters. It’s crowded, there are long lines, & the bathrooms are always yucky. People text during the film, rudely put their feet up on the seats in front of them, or try to save a row of the best seats for their friends who aren’t there yet, & it annoys me to no end! Most days, I’d much rather stay at home in my pajamas & just stream a movie online.
Despite all the reasons I dislike movie theaters, there is one thing I miss A LOT during an at-home movie night, & that’s the smell (& taste) of movie theater popcorn. That buttery, salty scent is hard to resist, & it’s quintessential to the whole movie experience. But don’t despair; you really can have the best of both worlds! These twelve DIY popcorn upgrades will seriously elevate your next home movie night, & I promise it will be better than going to the theater, in every way. From sweet to savory, bacon to blue cheese, this roundup’s got you covered.
- Bacon Bourbon Caramel Popcorn from Cooking in Stilettos
Hey bacon lovers, you’re welcome.
- Pina Colada Popcorn from Pretty Providence
White chocolate, shredded coconut, & dried pineapple chunks make this recipe so unique.
- Buffalo Blue Cheese Popcorn from A Spicy Perspective
Let’s get spicy!
- Rosemary Parmesan Popcorn from Five Heart Home
The flavor to effort ratio here leans strongly in your favor.
- Honey Butter Popcorn from Tried & Tasty
This recipes calls for just 5 ingredients. So simple, so good!
- Birthday Cake Popcorn from I Heart Eating
Can every day be my birthday?
- Chunky Monkey Popcorn from Running in a Skirt
The banana chips make it healthy, right?
- The Ultimate Truffle Popcorn from Fox & Briar
For all you fancy pants movie watchers.
- Strawberry White Chocolate Popcorn from Ilona’s Passion
Channel your inner princess with some serious pink power.
- Fajita-Flavored Popcorn with Queso Fresco from Bake Your Day
REAL cheese on popcorn. Why have I never thought of this?!
- PB & J Popcorn from Something Swanky
It’s peanut butter & jelly time!
- Cookies & Cream Popcorn from I Heart Naptime
Kirsten Clark is a high school English and Social Studies teacher, a reader, a runner, a writer, a lover of good food, and most importantly, a new mom. Kirsten lives in Vermilion, Alberta with her husband, and since welcoming a baby boy last December, she is embracing the new adventure of motherhood with all of its ups and downs. She occasionally blogs at shelooksforadventure.com, and posts regularly on Instagram @kirstenlanae. Find her on Twitter also.