Southern Tea Cakes are a tradition in Sweatpants& Coffee fan Brenda Lord’s family. She says, “My grandmother always kept some on hand and I have fond memories of having ‘coffee’ with her in the afternoon and watching her dip these soft, simple delicious cookies in her coffee. I inherited her Blue Willow coffee cup (in those days they drank from real china cups, not mugs) and I now enjoy sharing these Tea Cakes with my own granddaughters.”
- 1 1/2 cup white sugar1 egg
- 1 egg1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tsp baking soda dissolve in buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Cream butter and sugar together.
2. Add vanilla and egg, mix well.
3. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk add to butter and sugar mixture alternating with dry ingredients.
4. Sprinkle flour on counter top and roll or pat the dough out to desired thickness. Cut with
5. Cut with top of cup dipped in flour and place on baking pan.
6. Bake at 350 until edges just start to turn color, about 10 min. Don’t over bake.