Welcome to the first edition of Mood Music, where you, our beloved Sweatpants & Coffee readers, share the songs that you rely on to cheer you up, make you feel sexy, or have a good cathartic cry. Our first theme is “Songs that Make You Smile.” These are the tunes that are guaranteed to get your head bobbing in time and make you sing into a hairbrush like you’re on Star Search. My personal recommendation? “Intergalactic” by the Beastie Boys. I have embarrassed myself by car dancing to that song at more red lights than I care to admit.
We had a lot of great suggestions. Here are some of our favorites.
- “You Should Be Dancin'” by the Bee Gees, recommended by Emily Parker
- “Paradise by the Dashboard Light” by Meatloaf, recommended by Tina Marie Toler-Keel
- “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, recommended by Jen Contrades Leines
- “Love Shack” by the B-52s, recommended by Kyrsten Rosehill Kaha
- “Chelsea Dagger” by The Fratellis, recommended by Tomara Armstrong
- “Raise Your Glass” by P!nk, recommended by Sarah Marshall Brockway
- “Smooth” by Santana, featuring Rob Thomas, recommended by Connie Daley
- “Keep On Loving You” by REO Speedwagon, recommended by Jennifer Kuemerle Lowery
- “Jessie’s Girl” by Rick Springfield, recommended by Sara Perlman-Smith
- “Dreams” by The Cranberries, recommended by Jennifer Barney
- “I Melt With You” by Modern English, recommended by Cyril Chen
Click here to get this playlist:
Thanks for the suggestions, friends! Watch our Facebook page and Twitter feed for your chance to be featured in our next column!