I have a confession to make: I don’t like going to movie theaters. It’s crowded, there are long lines, and the bathrooms are always yucky. People text during the film, rudely put their feet up on the seats in front of them, or try to save a row of the best seats for their friends who aren’t there yet. It annoys me to no end! Most days, I’d much rather stay at home in my pajamas and just stream a movie online.
Despite all the reasons I dislike movie theaters, there is one thing I miss A LOT during an at-home movie night, and that’s the smell (and taste) of movie theater popcorn. That buttery, salty scent is hard to resist. It’s quintessential to the whole movie experience. But don’t despair; you really can have the best of both worlds! These 12 DIY popcorn upgrades will seriously elevate your next home movie night, and I promise it will be better than going to the theater, in every way. From sweet to savory, bacon to blue cheese, this roundup’s got you covered.
- Bacon Bourbon Caramel Popcorn from Cooking in Stilettos
Hey bacon lovers, you’re welcome.
- Pina Colada Popcorn from Pretty Providence
White chocolate, shredded coconut, & dried pineapple chunks make this recipe so unique.
- Buffalo Blue Cheese Popcorn from A Spicy Perspective
Let’s get spicy!
- Rosemary Parmesan Popcorn from Five Heart Home
The flavor to effort ratio here leans strongly in your favor.
- Honey Butter Popcorn from Tried & Tasty
This recipes calls for just 5 ingredients. So simple, so good!
- Birthday Cake Popcorn from I Heart Eating
Can every day be my birthday?
- Chunky Monkey Popcorn from Running in a Skirt
The banana chips make it healthy, right?
- The Ultimate Truffle Popcorn from Fox & Briar
For all you fancy pants movie watchers.
- Strawberry White Chocolate Popcorn from Ilona’s Passion
Channel your inner princess with some serious pink power.
- Fajita-Flavored Popcorn with Queso Fresco from Bake Your Day
REAL cheese on popcorn. Why have I never thought of this?!
- PB & J Popcorn from Something Swanky
It’s peanut butter & jelly time!
- Cookies & Cream Popcorn from I Heart Naptime
Kirsten Clark is a high school English and Social Studies teacher, a reader, a runner, a writer, a lover of good food, and most importantly, a new mom. Kirsten lives in Vermilion, Alberta with her husband, and since welcoming a baby boy last December, she is embracing the new adventure of motherhood with all of its ups and downs. She occasionally blogs at shelooksforadventure.com, and posts regularly on Instagram @kirstenlanae. Find her on Twitter also.