This past October I won the lottery and got into the panel for Psych at New York Comic Con. My photo op with Ricky Whittle and Pablo Schreiber ran right up against the Psych panel. But I made it with enough time to catch my breath and then lost it again laughing.
The return of Psych is currently just a TV movie. But all parties involved would love this to morph into a series return or at least ten years worth of movies.
For those who don’t know, Psych was the greatest psychic police comedy on TV ever. And certainly, the best original series USA has ever had.
Here are five things every fan and newcomer needs to know about Psych: The Movie!
- When last we left our fearless hero, Shawn and his fearful sidekick, Burton “Gus” Guster, Shawn left Santa Barbara for Juliet in San Francisco. The show picks up three years later in San Francisco, or as it will now be referred to, Psychfrancisco. Or is it San FranPsycho? Even Lassie is there, probably to keep an eye on Shawn.
- Gus is still in pharmaceutical sales. And Shawn is still in the psychic business. Their new office is an exact replica of the Chinese shop in Gremlins. And yes, all manner of obscure entertainment references will be dropped throughout the show, er movie.
- Shawn proposed to Juliet in the series finale and she said “yes”. Years later, Shawn and Juliet are still not married. Fans will remember the engagement ring was stolen at the end of the last episode. The ring has not been recovered.
- Shawn’s father, played by Corbin Bernsen, is still in Santa Barbara. But he will make an appearance.
- Zachery Levi, of Chuck and Thor fame, plays an unconvincing evil guy. I say he’s unconvincing because he’ll always be the upstanding, do-gooder Chuck, in my mind.
Oh, and Gus has a love interest! I guess that makes six things you know.
Here’s a seventh and last thing we know for certain, Psych: The Movie airs on USA Network on, wait for it…wait for it… December 7th at 8pm! Check out a few trailers and fun below.
Photo Source: NBC, USA Network and Psych: The Movie
Per NBC/USA Network release:
Fake psychic detective Shawn Spencer (James Roday) and his best friend, Burton “Gus” Guster (Dulé Hill), will team up once again, returning to USA Network for the holidays, when the two-hour “Psych: The Movie” premieres in December 2017. “Psych” creator Steve Franks co-wrote the movie with Roday and will also direct the special. Lassiter (Timothy Omundson), Juliet (Maggie Lawson), Henry (Corbin Bernsen) and Chief Vick (Kirsten Nelson) will also return for the movie. The ambitious friends — along with some returning fan-favorite characters — come together during the holidays after a mystery assailant targets one of their own. A comedic thrill ride follows, as the wild and unpredictable PSYCH team pursues the bad guys, justice …and food!