Shauna’s Loaded Sweet Potato Casserole
This gorgeous sweet potato dish replaces the cinnamon and marshmallows in your traditional sweet potato casserole with all the flavors of a loaded baked potato. Sweet potatoes are mashed and infused with butter, cayenne pepper, cream, and spices, and are topped with sharp cheddar, crispy bacon, and scallion curls. It’s a savory spin on an old classic that will bring a whole new taste to your Thanksgiving table. Best of all, it’s a cinch to make!
2 40 ounce cans sweet potatoes in light syrup
6 Tablespoons salted butter
1 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 sea salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 Cup heavy cream
1 1/4 Cup sharp cheddar, grated
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Dice the bacon and fry until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Reserve 2 Tablespoons of the bacon grease.
3. Drain the sweet potatoes. Place them in a large pot that has been heated to medium high heat. Use a potato masher to smash the potatoes well.
4. Add the reserved bacon grease, the butter, seasoning salt, salt and pepper, the cayenne, and the nutmeg. Smash the potatoes again to combine the ingredients.
5. Turn the heat to medium-low. Add the cream and 3/4 cup of the cheddar. Stir until the cheese is melted.
6. Pour the sweet potatoes into a small casserole pan. Top with the remaining cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
7. To curl the scallions, remove the green tops from the white parts. Slice each green top into four long strips with a paring knife.
8. Submerge the scallions in a bowl of iced water and let sit for twenty minutes to curl.
9. Remove the casserole from the oven and top with the bacon and the curled scallions.