It’s World Baking Day, y’all.
A lot of us have had a little bit more time on our hands and a little bit more to stress cook, bake, and eat about. (Or at least I have.)
It’s hard for me not to be able to share my newfound baking delights with my loved ones these days due to quarantining, but I’ve put a bunch in the freezer and I take them out when I need a little comfort. Here are some of the desserts that our staff writers bake when they’re celebrating or looking for a little comfort themselves.
- At the bottom of this list of amazing desserts, I’ve listed a few of my favorite boxed mixes because let’s be real – sometimes we just don’t have the energy for this.
- The recipes that I personally included are gluten-free, dairy-free, and absolutely delicious. If you want to see a whole collection of dietary restriction-friendly recipes for all meals of the day, click here because I gotchu, fam.
Chocolate Chip Cookies from The Kitchn (written by Jacques Torres from “Nailed It” – whaaaaat!)
“The cookie base is so good that sometimes my kid doesn’t even WANT chocolate chips in them.”
Heather Dyer’s favorites (she’s the Dessert Nerd and bakes all the time)
“I am a huge fan of all Cookies & Cups recipes, but this one is so simple and so fabulous that it’s my all-time favorite dessert. No fancy ingredients, no finicky preparation, just dump everything into a mixing bowl and then into a cake pan. The sugar crust is absolute heaven! I splurge on good vanilla because the flavor is front and center.”
“Treasured. Follow the recipe precisely.”
“Include butter and graham crackers in the streusel.”
“I’ve been making this for years.”
Tony Moir’s favorite Linda’s Six-Layer Chocolate Fudge Blackout Cake from Cheesecake Factory (and it has a personal story for him!)
“Moist and delicious with a bright orange flavor. Sometimes? I eat it for breakfast. Sssshhhhhhh.”
“Get excited about coconut macaroons, coffee cake, chocolate merengue cookies, and more – all gluten-free and dairy-free.”
My favorite gluten-free boxed mixes so far:
- King Arthur’s Brownies
- King Arthur’s Yellow Cake Mix
- King Arthur’s Chocolate Cake Mix
- Pamela’s Bread Mix
- Bob’s Red Mill Cornbread (because, yes, cornbread is basically a dessert.)
Back when I wasn’t gluten free, Ghirardelli’s Double Chocolate Brownie Mix was my favorite, as was the classic Pillsbury White Cake Mix.
Blessings on your baking, y’all.
May your oven thermometer be accurate, the necessary ingredients all in your pantry (double-check before starting because man, that is a bummer), and your stomachs open to new goodies.